With two students in the first class, Father Procopius Neuzil and the other monks of St. Procopius Abbey founded the school now known as Benet Academy on March 2, 1887. Formally known as St. Procopius College, the school in practice was a high school until after its transfer from Chicago’s St. Procopius Parish to rural Lisle in 1901.
St. Procopius Academy
Long on the same campus as the college, the academy obtained its own quarters in 1956, taking over the buildings and grounds of the former St. Joseph Bohemian Orphanage. In 1967, with the arrival of the faculty and students of the former Sacred Heart Academy, the school became coeducational, closed its boarding facilities, and adopted the new name, Benet Academy.
Long the largest Catholic high school in the Diocese of Joliet, Benet Academy has over the decades become known for academic excellence and academic achievement. Under Principal Steven Marth, the school has grown to about 1350 students, virtually all of whom will go on to collegiate studies.